Captain Jake Herrin

collapse

FACEBOOK!

Visit the Captain's Facebook page. CLICK HERE!

Captain Jake

From Past to Present!

Nice Trout

Views: 1366
By: Jeanine
Happy Lady!

Views: 1487
By: Jeanine

Author Topic: A Strange Day on the Water  (Read 6085 times)

Offline Jeanine

• Administrator
A Strange Day on the Water
« on: December 05, 2013, 04:51:55 PM »
It started out pretty normal. Managed to have a day to myself and decided to do some Red Fishing along the Spoil Banks in Crystal River. While there and waiting for the Reds to start biting, a Homing Pigeon lands in my boat, which was quite a surprise as there were many other boats close by.

Going from place to place doing around 30 mph, he is staying with me, resting on the bottom of the boat behind a fish cooler.

Meanwhile, I decide to change and do some “Inshore” Grouper Fishing in the Intake Channel. At about ¼ tide, the shrimp grass from the night before starts coming in with the tide. Looking across the channel I see a large carcass around 12’ long floating in with the grass. Trying to make out what it is and still fishing only about 50 feet or so away, suddenly a very large shark, jaws open, (no kidding, looked like a scene straight out of “Jaws”) comes out of the water and grabs the carcass in the middle and sinks it. Within a minute it is back up and floating towards the boat. Now I still haven’t figured out just what it is that this huge shark was wanting so bad, but the shark is still circling under it and it is now a lot closer to the boat. (Remember the Homing Pigeon? He’s still in the boat with me resting)

About that time I get a hit on a Grouper, the shark then decides he would rather have a fresher meal and comes right after my Grouper. I grabbed the line and hand pulled the Grouper into the boat at a fast rate of speed, not wanting it to swim into the rocks and also not wanting it to become “Shark Bait”! Needless to say the Shark was not happy about it, but went back to the carcass.

Still not recognizing what exactly it was that the shark was after I decided to pull anchor and follow to see if I could get close enough to get a good look at it. Much to my surprise it turned out to be about a 12’ Alligator floating belly up. Apparently he had somehow been killed and floated out to sea only to float back in again into the path of the shark.

Now it’s the end of the day and time to go back in. Upon reaching the Marina and the boat slip, the wife is there waiting on me. Of course I had to start telling her about my strange day on the water, no matter how strange it might have all sounded (and naturally had NO camera with me, which I heard about!) But Aha! At least I still had a little proof of what all had happened that day. There still resting on the bottom of the boat (and in the same place) was the Homing Pigeon! He had stayed with me all day. I reached down and gently picked him up, held him up in the air and he then proceeded to fly away.

Captian Jake Herrin

Captain Jake Herrin

A Strange Day on the Water
« on: December 05, 2013, 04:51:55 PM »

Copyright © Captain Jake Herrin